Follow

Cooking 101: Spam Musubi


WHILE binge watching old food tasting videos of one of my favorite Youtubers, I became curious of this one particular food during their vacation in Hawaii: Spam Musubi.

After searching some recipes online and watching how-to-cook videos on Youtube I told myself that this is a pretty easy dish to remake so I then went to the grocery,  bought the ingredients, made some, ate some and now I’m sharing it with you.



Just a brief background, Spam Musubi originated in Hawaii and is a popular snack found in all their convenience stores.



What you will need (good for 6 servings):
-Cooked rice (for my version I mixed 1 cup glutinous rice and 1 cup or regular rice; you can also opt for Japanese rice instead)
-1 can Spam (sliced)
-Soy Sauce
-Sesame Oil/Regular Cooking Oil
-Nori (cut just about the size of the Spam)

Procedure:
I used sesame oil because I loved how it smells and tastes which I think would best complement the nori.
-Cook the Spam in sesame oil and add a dash of soy sauce for each Spam slices. Drain excess oil on a paper towel.



Assembling the Spam Musubi:

You can buy Spam Musubi molders online but for this I just improvised and used a small plastic container which is almost the same size as the Spam. 

1 and 2: Place the nori on the plate then place the Spam on the middle portion.
Then, put the rice into the mold just enough for it to be almost about ¼ to half an inch thick.

3 and 4: Put the molded rice on the Spam and fold the nori. 

5: In order to make the nori stick you can dip your finger in water and run it along the edge of the nori or put a grain or two of the cooked rice and press it to stick.

6: Voila! Quick and easy Spam Musubi! You can also customize this to your own taste by adding scrambled eggs or bacon.



Hope you’ll give it a try this weekend! Until next week! 







Also published in SunStar Davao on January 27, 2017

Share your thoughts!

Comments? Suggestions? Email me at: kriztja.labrador@gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment